www.flickr.com
items in FHFteam on Etsy More in FHFteam on Etsy pool

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Member Interrogations - Dawn Turner

Dawn Turner, an artist specializing in kiln-fused glass, gives us a look into what informs her work (as well as what informs her TV-viewing habits...) Read on...



1 - Your name: Dawn Turner


2 - Your shop name and address: Dawn Turner Designs:http://www.dawnturnerdesigns.co.uk/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/dawnturnerdesigns


3 - Describe your artistic style in three words: Patterns, textures, random!


4 - When did you first start glass work, and how did you get started?

When I was doing my A-Level art, 5 or 6 years ago. During the experimental phase of a particular project, where I had been exploring patterns that I had seen repeated in tree forms, a riverbed, the body, maps, I was doing some printing with lino cuts - this developed into casting into plaster forms, which I then slumped glass over - I'd done a stained glass course a few years before, and *liked* it but never felt the reaction that I did to this "WOW!" I'd finally found a way to express the imagery I wanted to, but without painting it, which I am not very good at.

5 - What do you love most about your craft?

Opening the kiln is STILL a surprise, I love not quite knowing what it is going to look like until it comes out - and I just love that you can do so many things with, and to, glass to produce endless different effects.


6 - If you could take a class with any artist (in your field or otherwise) who would you choose and why?

 I really, really, really cannot pin this down - there's lots of glass techniques I'd like to learn more about and master, so that's a huge choice of artists - however, he's not glass related, and actually I don't think one of my favourite artists teaches - land artist, Chris Drury, but I love his work, and that he sees the same links between the microcosm and macrocosm as I do and that science is a constant them in much of his work.

7 - Do you have a favourite piece of your work that you can share with us?


It has to be "Epiphany" -


These pieces truly marked a turning point in my life - within 18 months of making these, I'd gone from endlessly changing jobs every few years trying to find "something" to going to full time mature student doing my degree in Crafts.


8 - Where do you find your inspiration?

I probably would have to say mostly scientific imagery; whether it be at molecular level or space satellites fascinate me endlessly - I love how images, patterns, textures from inside the body can be indiscernible from something in outer space. I also love how science, such as repeating patterns, manifest themselves in nature time and time again - I am equally fascinated by the endless variation in colour and pattern of a twilight sky, or the texture left on sand by the tide.


9 - What’s your favourite technique within your medium?

I think it has to be bas-relief, or kiln carving - particularly using lino cutting tools to carve plaster blocks - I feel this probably expresses my own creativity the most and I find carving the patterns incredibly absorbing.


10 - Where do you create your work?

At my studio, part of an open workspace with five other artists, Shed 2 Studios


11 - Do you have a favourite colour scheme or range when you’re creating pieces?

I would happily make everything in red if I could! And I am currently in love with iridescent glass.


12 - Can you give us a quotation/lyric/piece of advice that sums up your approach to life and your craft?

"Try it and see/give it a go" and "what's the worse that can happen?" - both regularly said to me by two of my art tutors during my foundation year, and the two really do go hand in hand I think.


13 - The most serious question of all: if you could meet any fictional character, from TV film or literature, who would it be and why?

Am I allowed to say? Currently, it would have to be Steve McGarret from the new Hawaii Five-O, cos he's hot!! Or does that make me shallow? Hmm, otherwise, Thomas O Malley, the alleycat, I think he'd be cool to be around!

14 - Finally, what are your plans or hopes for your work in the future?

My ultimate goal would be to see some of my work displayed in public art in somewhere like a hospital, inspired by and designed for that specific location.



----

Don't forget to check back for the next insight into our members - and thanks to Dawn for this week's interesting read!

Hazel

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for featuring me in the blog

Dawn
x

BlueBoxStudio said...

I enjoyed reading about you, Dawn. I'm really enjoying finding out about so many other people.

[Prompt to me, get my words written!].

Mary (nemeadesigns) said...

Great interview Dawn!

Jolene said...

A lovely interview and nice to find out more about your glassy journey and insprirations.